It is time for you to attain the prestigious FACHE credential. Attaining board certification in healthcare management is how organizations know a healthcare leader is prepared to lead in the dynamic healthcare environment. You will stand out as having met rigorous standards and demonstrated competency in all areas of healthcare leadership when you earn the FACHE credential. There is no better time than the present to get started. Learn more at ache.org/FACHE.
The 2018–19 Regent elections kick off Sept. 17 and will run through Oct. 5. All Members, Fellows and Life Fellows will receive an email with a link to a secure online ballot where they can view candidate statements and vote. Those without email addresses in our database will receive a paper ballot via postal mail. The Wisconsin chapter will be electing a next Regent, please remember to vote!
Healthcare is poised to play a central role in the 2018 state and federal elections, and the results could reverberate across Wisconsin.
Democrats are hoping a blue wave will put the brakes on President Trump’s attack on the Affordable Care Act, but if Republicans retain control of Congress, it may seal the law’s fate. Meanwhile, the races for Governor and the Legislature are certain to shape the future of healthcare for years to come.
A panel of the state’s top healthcare lobbyists will analyze what’s at stake for the Badger State and preview their priorities for the coming year. Panelists:
- Eric Borgerding, CEO, Wisconsin Hospital Association
- Bud Chumbley, CEO, Wisconsin Medical Society
- Stephanie Harrison, CEO, Wisconsin Primary Health Care Association
- John Sauer, CEO, LeadingAge Wisconsin
- Nancy Wenzel, CEO, Wisconsin Association of Health Plans
The event is Tuesday, September 11 at the Madison Club (11:30am – 1pm). Register now (link).
Article by Kathleen Olewinski, FACHE, 2018-2019 LDP Co-Chair
The 2018-2019 Leadership Development Program (LDP) Cohort IX kicked off their 2018 Site Visits with a day at Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin including meetings and tours at the Corporate Center, Children’s Hospital, and Delafield Clinic.
The group started their day at Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin Corporate Center in Milwaukee, with a light breakfast and an interactive discussion with senior leaders including Scott Turner, COO, Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin and Executive Vice President, Children’s Hospital and Health System; and Thomas Miller, Vice President of Surgical & Diagnostic Services. Michael Madrzak, Director of Surgical/Interventional Services – Herma Heart Institute, then provided an in-depth overview of the Institute and a video preview of their annual Heart Summit.
The morning continued with presentations from several service lines, and discussions with Sarah Currie, Director of Patient Care Service Line – NICU; Dr. Michael Uhing, Clinical Vice President of Inpatient, Emergency Department & Trauma Center Services and Medical Director of Neonatology; and Cheryl Weber, Lactation Services Manager.
Highlights included a tour of Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin, and engaging dialogue with Eileen Clark, Family Services Manager – Child Life; Megan Struve, Family Services Manager – Social Work; Sarah Currie, Director of Patient Care Service Line – NICU; Dr. Michael Uhing, Clinical Vice President of Inpatient, Emergency Department & Trauma Center Services and Medical Director of Neonatology; Cheryl Weber, Lactation Services Manager; Helen Saha, Director Patient Care Services – Neurosciences; Linda Flannery, Imaging Manager; and Joe Ackerman, Imaging Manager.
During lunch, the group met with Shelisa Dalton, COO – Children’s Specialty Group, and then spent time learning about managed care and community programs from Julie Antholine, Director of Health Plan Operations – Children’s Community Health Plan; Michael Boeder, Director of Foster Care Medical Home – Care 4 Kids; and Wanda Montgomery, Director of Community Partnerships – Community Health & Education.
The group then traveled to CHW Delafield Clinic, and had an engaging conversation with leaders including Holly Colby, Executive Director of Ambulatory Services; Jack Scalcucci, Director of Business and Southeast Regional Services; and Mike Flaherty, Business Manager of Ambulatory Specialty Care, and ACHE WI LDP cohort V alum (2014). Leaders then facilitated tours of the new clinic, to wrap up the day with cohort IX.
The site visit was hosted by Luke Belter, MBA, Business Manager – Surgical Services, Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin, who also involved Cedrick Antonio, Treasurer, Future Healthcare Executives at UW-Milwaukee, who he mentors as part of the Leadership Development Program with the ACHE Wisconsin Chapter.
LDP Cohort IX June 2018 Site Visit at Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin
- Jerry Teplitz, JD, Ph.D, CSP, The Energy Doctor: Brain Performance Expert, Jerry Teplitz Enterprises
- Dawn Garcia, MBA, MS, CMQ-OE, Principal, Pursuit of Excellence, LLC
- Gary Kunich, MMC, Public Affairs Officer, Clement J. Zablocki Veteran Affairs Medical Center
- James McLain, FACHE, Chief Operating Officer, Milwaukee VA Medical Center
- Alan Bridges, MD, Chief of Staff, William S. Middleton Memorial Veterans Hospital
- Tom Shorter, JD, FACHE, Shareholder, Godfrey & Kahn, S.C.
- David Arnold, Executive Vice President, Irgens – Milwaukee Office
- Timothy Prince, FACHE, Senior Advisor, J.H. Findorff & Sons, Inc.
- Steven Robinson, MHA, Senior Director Administrator, Aurora UW Medical Group
- Amanpreet Sethi, MD, Medical Director, Population Health & Risk, Aurora Health Care Family Medicine-Downtown
- Lisa Ellinger, MA, Vice President Public Policy, Wisconsin Hospital Association
- Sarah Coyne, JD, Partner, Quarles & Brady LLP
- Michael T. Lohmeier, MD, Section Chief, Emergency Medical Services/Medical Director, Advanced Life Support Consortium and Basic Life Support Services, University of Wisconsin/Dane County
- Steve Steinhardt, Emergency Manager, Sheboygan County
- Bob Mayer, Disaster Program Manager, American Red Cross – Northeast WI
- Tracey Froiland,RN, MSN, Coordinator, Northeast Wisconsin Healthcare Emergency Readiness Coalition
- Stephanie Sobczak, Project Manager – Administration, UW Health at The American Center
- Annette Severson, EdD, RN, Associate Director for Patient Care Services, Milwaukee VA Medical Center
- Betsy Clough, MPH, Vice President for Performance Excellence, UW Health
- Eric Erickson, MBA, FACHE, Vice President, Primary Care, Medical Education, and Research, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science | Mayo Clinic
- Eric Borgerding, BA, President and CEO, Wisconsin Hospital Association
- Emily McNamara, AIA, LEED AP BD+C, Project Architect, Eppstein Uhen Architects
- Kristin Dufek, AIA, ACHE, LEED AP, Vice President + Healthcare Studio Director + Principal, Eppstein Uhen Architects
- Christina Orr, D.P.T., Assistant Medical Center Director, Milwaukee VA Medical Center
- Teresa Lindfors, FACHE, RN, CNO/VP Patient Services, Stoughton Hospital
- Steven Ziemba, MBA, PhD, FACHE, FACRP, Assistant Professor, Northcentral University
- Jennifer Geurts, MS, CGC, Associate Director of Genetic Counseling Genomic Sciences & Precision Medicine Center, Medical College of Wisconsin
- Jeff Whittle, MD, MPH, Professor of Medicine, Medical College of Wisconsin
- Randall Lambrecht, PhD, Senior Vice President for Aurora Health Care, Inc. and President of Aurora Research Institute LLC, Aurora Research Institute
- Vicki Hill, MS, MBA, FACHE, Vice President, Operations, UW Health – The American Center
- Paul Pejsa, BS, MS, MBA, Director, Catalysis Healthcare Value Network
- Teresa Lindfors, FACHE, RN, CNO/VP Patient Services, Stoughton Hospital
- Stephen Francaviglia, RN, BS, MBA, President, Greater Milwaukee South, Aurora Health Care
- Jonathon Truwit, MD, Chief Medical Officer, Froedtert Health and the Medical College of Wisconsin
- Paul Horvath, MD, FACEP, Regional Chair, Emergency Medicine, Mayo Clinic Health System-Eau Claire
- Cory Geisler, JD, Vice President, Provider Services, UW Health
Plan to attend now and book your hotel room. Rooms are available at The Osthoff Resort at the special rate of $172. To guarantee this rate, reservations must be made by August 27, 2018. To make a reservation, please call The Osthoff Resort at 1-800-876-3399 and request the American College of Healthcare Executives – Wisconsin Chapter room block.
The annual Wisconsin Health News CEO Roundtable is August 14 in Madison. A panel of the state’s leading health system and hospital leaders will discuss the most pressing issues facing their industry.
- Sue Turney, CEO, Marshfield Clinic Health System
- Robert Van Meeteren, CEO, Reedsburg Area Medical Center
- Alan Kaplan, CEO, UW Health
Register now (link).
Have you ever had a negative day as a Healthcare leader? How did you feel at the end of it? Tired, drained… Now, have you ever had a positive day as a leader? How did you feel at the end of it? Energized. Isn’t there an increase in your productivity, effectiveness and bottom line on that positive day? What would that do to your abilities and successes as a leader and bridge builder? You can have that outcome every day! In this highly interactive program, Amazon bestselling author and top-rated speaker Dr. Jerry V. Teplitz will show you how to make every day that way through actual tools and techniques that will increase your energy level resulting in more effective leadership and bridge building capabilities.
Take the next important step in your healthcare management career by advancing to Fellow status. Chapter members who meet the application requirements apply now. Members can apply for Fellow status and learn more about the steps and requirements needed to advance at ache.org/FACHE.